Instagram, along with Pinterest, is one of the best places to get interior inspiration from. We’ve researched and collected the most searched for interior styles on Instagram by looking at the most popular hashtags related to specific interior design trends.
Here's What we Found
2021 - Update
The 10 Most Popular Design Styles on Instagram this Autumn 2021 (and their growth from Autumn 2020)
- #shabbychic - 9,165,719 posts - +10%
- #midcenturymodern - 5,165,517 posts - +33%
- #scandinaviandesign - 4,724,303 posts - +29%
- #cottagecore - 2,590,485 posts - +109%
- #fengshui- 1,744,024 posts - +145%
- #contemporarydesign - 1,432,639 posts - +143%
- #traditionaldesign- 1,146,784 posts - +232%
- #frenchcountry- 424,753 posts - +70%
- #minimalistdesign - 385,191 posts - +159%
- #maximalism - 256,275 posts - +147%
Top 3 Emerging Design Styles in 2021
While trends like Scandinavian design and Shabby-Chic retained their usual top spots, one surprising finding showed that ‘Cottagecore’ (also often referred to as ‘Farmcore’ or ‘Countrycore’) has had a surge in interest in interior-design and home decor circles on the platform, with ‘#cottagecore’ used on 590,184 posts.
- #shabbychic - 8,345,118 posts
- #midcenturymodern - 3,881,798 posts
- #scandinaviandesign - 3,668,118 posts
- #fengshui - 1,240,336 posts
- #contemporarydesign - 1,056,621 posts
- #cottagecore - 590,184 posts
- #frenchcountry - 345,643 posts
- #minimalistdesign - 249,432 posts
- #maximalism - 149,152 posts
- #traditionaldesign - 103,549 posts
New Design Trend Predictions: 2021
As we move further into 2021, we've also discovered a few new design trends, some of which are becoming popular within more niche types of decor. For example, our findings show that 'Royalcore' (an aesthetic based on the visuals or West European royalty that has becoming especially popular since Netflix's Bridgerton) is becoming a favourite style influence for people planning themed events - such as balls, proms and large parties. Equally, 'Rustic Vogue' (described as a more polished, elegant sibling of Cottagecore) is becoming increasingly popular with people planning weddings - the ‘#rusticweddings’ on Instagram has been used on 2,164,541 posts so far in 2021, while ‘#rusticweddingdecor’ and ‘#rusticweddingideas’ are also growing in popularity, with 261,243 and 27,055 posts respectively.
Top Three Instagram Interior Styles
We used this tool to pull interior related hashtags with the biggest search volumes. We then compiled the top 10 with the highest search volume/hashtags.